Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Hoo-ray for Ma-lay(sia) and Team Pangkor



When the sun comes up in Kuala Lumpur and brushes the faces of the Petronas Towers, you know you are seeing something that no one really deserves to see, but there you are, looking right at it. There is no place like Malaysia...no place I've ever been, anyway. One night in KL then a taxi ride to Pangkortown and a ferry on to Palau Pangkor (the island). And there I am. There I am with three friends and white sands and warm sun. We dropped our bags and ran for the shore. A perfect day (even Lou Reed would've been satisfied) on the seas of the equator. The water was warm, even hot in parts. We rented kayaks and headed for the coves and hidden beaches. We swam all day and into the dark and dream-filled night. Bottles of wine and one of tequila (just for me), lots of laughter, light-hearted and soulful conversations with good friends, plenty of time to think and plenty of time not to. Pangkor Island was good to me. It gave me a break from the heat of Siem Reap. It renewed my visa (and reset my mind). The silence, the noise, the sunset, the rain, the exploding sky, it was all there on Pangkor Island.