Monday, October 02, 2006

A Change Is Gonna Come


It was like a cool breeze that blew over me this morning. I went into the executive director's office early to get my coffee fix (there's coffee in the staff lounge, but it's not as good as the executive director's brew) and guess who I ran into right as I was entering his secretary's lair?...that's right. Jon Morgan himself (that's the exec. dir., for those of you who are unaware). He looked at me and said, "oh no." Immediately he thought I was going to tell him I wanted to quit. I think many volunteer art therapists before me have done so. But I smiled and said, "oh no. I just have a question for you." So, we stood there as I started unfolding my previously thought-out shpeel (yes, i said "shpeel") as to whether or not I was going to be allowed to photograph in the hospital or not. I got about two sentences in, no wait, one, and Jon smiled and said, "of course." Ahhhh. Cool breeze. So tomorrow, I begin photographing in the hospital. I'm stoked and where, initially, I feel I may have been nervous about photographing there, now I am just so damn glad that I get to, that I'm ready to make that jazz, baby. To say that my mood has lifted is a complete understatement. And, at times, I feel I've been slightly bi-polar since arriving here - I've run the gamut of emotions. I've been ecstatic, elated, content, exhausted, depressed, miserable, sick, healthy, confused (that's pretty constant, though): and all in just under two weeks. And now, what am I? Ready.