Friday, October 20, 2006

Okay...I'm A LITTLE Faint of Heart.


This afternoon, my day took a complete and unexpected turn (come to think of it, that happens almost every day at least once - but this time, it was a huge turn!). I found my way to the small room where surgeries are performed on the children. A woman handed me some blue scrubs (and as stupid as this sounds, I refuse to lie and say I didn't feel cool in them, I felt so cool in these clothes!...even though I definetely didn't belong in them). I walked into the room and the child was already on the table. He had a huge burn on his chest and was out like a light. The surgeons immediately greeted me and told me where to stand and what was about to happen. I watched the two-hour long operation as the plastic surgeon cut out the burn and sutured the boy in a long diagonal line from neck to lower chest. It was amazing. Even after the stitching, the physical appearance of the boy's chest (where the burn had been) was completely changed and definetely looked better. Soon after they wheeled the boy out of the room, another boy followed. This one was awake...for a moment, anyway. I saw them put him under and he was terrified by the look on his face. And he had reason to be. The "Operation Smile" team came in the room. The boy had a severe cleft in his upper lip. In fact, the head surgeon (who has done this surgery numerous times) said she had never seen one so separated. She was unsure as to whether or not it would pull together. After hours and hours of suturing....I mean, I have no idea how this woman stayed on her feet and kept sewing....the surgeon made a noise of triumph. I had been standing directly to her left, just inches from the boy and his new face. It was unreal. He looked totally different. I mean, it was difficult to see the boy's face when he walked in. But as he laid on that table, four hours later, still under anesthesia, he was beautiful. Hundreds and hundreds of stitches in his face, nothing could change that feeling of accomplishment that the entire room felt (and I have to admit, I selfishly felt it too. And for no real reason except that I was there to see it). He woke up early out of anesthesia. At that point, I had to exit the room and so I didn't get the after photograph. But he will be in recovery for a few days and I will go back to the hospital soon to get the shot.
Sometimes, I'm amazed at the things that we, as human beings, can do. To give that boy the face he never knew he always had...the face that is rightfully his...it was amazing. I wish I could be there when he sees his reflection for the first time...but, no matter, I was there to watch his world change.