Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Power of Photography


Today was my first day carrying my gigantic Canon around my neck through the halls of the hospital. And I have to tell you, I'm surprised by the reactions I got - most were actually very positive. Of course the kids were fascinated - they were not the ones I was worried about. It was the parents (not the heat) who had me sweating today. I couldn't even muster up the courage to take my camera out of my backpack during the morning session at the hospital. I went back to the white house for lunch and when I finished me meal, I sat there for a moment thinking, "What the hell is my problem? I worried and worried that I wouldn't be able to photograph in this hospital, and now that I know I can, I'm wussing out." After only twenty minutes into my two-hour lunch break, I got on my bicycle and headed back to the hospital. I arrived with an hour and a half left of my lunch. Perfect, I thought. I will be able to photograph only and not have to worry about folding little pieces of origami paper. I walked right into the LAU (low acuity unit - where chine/"john" is still residing in bed #3). I walked right over to him, he gave me that familiar "Whatever" look that is always on his face these days, I sat down, took the camera out of my pack, and pointed it at the two of us. Click. My first picture at the hospital was of Chine and I. I turned the camera around to show him the LCD panel (this was the moment I was hoping would have a positive affect on his mood). And, I swear, I've never seen a dim room get so bright in such an intensely short amount of time. Chine smiled. Let me make this clearer to you somehow: CHINE SMILED!!! It's the first time I've ever seen him smile. It was what I'd been waiting to see. And there it was. He could smile. I thought he was missing the gene. And he kept it going for a good five, maybe even ten (ok, that's exaggerating) minutes. Man, I have never felt so good in my life. In fact, at this moment right now, I'm celebrating with my first ice cream of the trip here in Cambodia. I felt like I had conquered the world. And the mother I told you about in the last email...she happened to be standing behind me. When she saw Chine smile, I heard the most wonderful noise come from her throat. It was true, a pure elation. I can't believe he smiled. He smiled.

(Sidebar: I found out this morning that because Chine's family is from near the border of Thailand, he'd been sent to a school in Thailand and didn't speak Khmer, but, instead, speaks Thai. NO WONDER no one could get him to respond!!!!...not to worry...there is staff that are Thai refugees and have been communicating - successfully - with Chine).

I can't believe he smiled. Maybe those cheesy kodak commercials have got something to them....know what I'm sayin'?

WOOHOO!